Thursday, March 15, 2007


After our visit to the IVF clinic yesterday, I have to say that I am not sure I can do this. It is just a lot of cash, a lot of shots, and a lot of hell to go through for a 60% chance of having a baby. I would love to have a baby, but I just don't think I can risk that kind of cash for something that has a 40% chance of tanking.

We did find out that we have a chance of getting back into the study. I know, I know... you are sitting there wondering what the heck is going on with this study... we are, too. I was told that the clinic has enough leftover drugs to accomodate about 5-10 more study participants. For now, though, they are waiting for the head doctor to decide if he/she wants to add more people to the study or just return the drugs to the company that provided them for the study. The nurse who handles the studies said she had my file on her desk (along with the other 4 waiting patients) and that she asks at least once a week about the possibility of adding us to the study. She told us that he just keeps saying "not yet"... whatever that means. We will just have to wait and see, but I am not getting my hopes up.

I am hopeful that the next round of IUI will do the trick (our drug protocol is different this time). We are gathering adoption information and trying to sort out what is the best answer for us. If anybody has adoption connections that we should look into, please pass them along.


S&C said...

Both adoption and IVF are great choices to start a family. I lean more to the adoption since we are adoption mommies ourself :-)
Adoption is expensive just like IVF but there are loans out there just for adoption. Unlike IVF adoption was a 100% chance that you will get a baby :-)
Good luck getting on the study! That would be great!

Brandy said...

Have you considered one of those shared risk programs? (I think that is what they are called.) Another blogger I read has just decided to do egg donation. If she is chosen then the other person or couple pays for IVF and gets half of her eggs. I think she said she would just have to pay for the bloodwork.