Sunday, December 16, 2007


Louisa Cobia was born on December 13th @ 8:31pm. To find out more, visit our new home at Capricorn Sagittarius Baby!

Wednesday, December 12, 2007


R's mom recently bought two really cool stuffed animals for Button -- one's a horse, who we named "Franklin" and the other is a lamb, who we call "Lambie" (okay, so we weren't very original with that one). For some reason I can't quite explain, I've had the urge to sleep with Lambie every night. Anyway...

Last night, in the middle of the night, we both woke up and heard our dachshund, Otto, making all sorts of noise and he was definitely chewing on something. In one second flat, I realized Lambie was missing from the bed and jumped up to save her. I took her from Otto and boy, was I upset! I tried to let it go and just go back to sleep, but I couldn't.

So, I did what any mom would do (or maybe not)... I got out my sewing kit and performed surgery on Lambie. She needed quite a few stiches in her leg, chest, and face. I'm quite skilled at stuffed animal sutures, so Lambie is good as new! Thank heavens I was able to save her.

Sunday, December 09, 2007


Only a few days left until we meet Button on the 13th! We're both so anxious and excited, we can hardly stand it. I can't sleep due to all of the excitement and R is so physically miserable, she's just dying to get Button out of there!

R is around 5cm dilated and is fully effaced. She's had quite a few contractions, which she describes as "period cramps" accompanied with back pain and the like. I don't know that it's quite Braxton-Hicks, as she's been having those for a long time and she says these feel different. Also, she says her hips hurt a lot, which I'm guessing is her body's way of preparing for birth. Anyway, she really could go into labor any day, so we might see Button before the 13th. How exciting!

Tuesday, December 04, 2007


Our doctor talked to us last week about inducing on the 14th, but apparently there was some sort of mix-up with the scheduling and now the hospital is all booked up that day. SO, she bumped us ahead and R will be induced on Thursday, December 13th! In the meantime, all is well and R is 3cm dilated. We went out for Indian food for dinner, hoping those hot spices would trigger something. Silly us... haha!

In other news, our house went under contract yesterday! The buyer had the inspection done today, but we don’t know any of the results or what actions the buyer will take. We’re pretty much hoping he backs out during this due diligence period because honestly, we have found nothing to buy. It’s feeling a little reminiscent of the Christmas story, with R about to deliver and no where to go.

Tuesday, November 27, 2007


Yesterday, we had our 36-week checkup at the doctor’s office. As usual, R is measuring ahead of schedule. There’s been some concern about Button’s size, so the doctor ordered us to return today for an ultrasound.

Today the sonographer checked Button’s size, as well as blood flow, movement, etc., and scored Button on an 8-out-of-8 scale. (sort of like an Apgar score, but intrauterine.) She got a perfect score! We also found out that she weighs around 7 1/2 pounds. This means she could potentially weigh around 8 1/2 - 9 lbs. when born, but it’s not significant enough for our doctor to take action now. She’s waiting to see if R goes into labor on her own (and seems to think she will do it soon), but if she doesn’t, Dr. A will induce her on December 14th!

Monday, November 26, 2007


I still have a couple more things to do, like hang the baby quilt over the crib and find a place to put all of Button’s stuffed animals! For now, a few pictures:

The next photo shows what the lamp looks like when it’s illuminated and the other lights are off. I love it!

This is our biggest dog, Moby, keeping watch over Button’s crib. He’s practicing for when she comes. He’s our protector!

Sunday, November 25, 2007


This morning, R didn’t feel much fetal activity, so she tried all of the “tricks” recommended to get your baby to move more — consumed caffeine, ate, took a shower, walked around, etc. I even put some headphones on R’s belly with loud music, but nothing worked. We got a little worried, so I talked R into calling the doctor. “Better safe than sorry”, right?

I spoke with Dr. L (the doctor in our practice on call this weekend) and he told us to go to the hospital, just to be on the safe side. We threw our packed bags into the car just in case R would end up being admitted. The nurse hooked R up to a fetal monitor and when the activity level wasn’t up to snuff, she gave her a Coke to drink. Still, the activity just wasn’t there, although the heart rate was up and looked good.

Dr. L finally came in and examined R. There haven’t been any changes in dilation or effacement. Since none of the usual tricks to get the baby to move worked, Dr. L “zapped” the baby with a small tool that emits strong sound waves. Sure enough, it did the trick. Because we finally had movement and everything else looked good, R was released. We’re glad we can have peace of mind.